So while Cherith and I were in Brugge this weekend we ate at one of the billion lovely cafes in the city. I forget what this one was called, the name was some kind of reference to Mozart. Anyway on to the food.
Cherith had her usual Coca-Cola and I had my awesome Ice tea (remember it's carbonated). As you can see in the picture below each of our drinks had their own signature glasses. Again, this is typical no matter what kind of drink you get, whether you purchase a Coke a Fanta or one of the bazillion Beers they have here. Everyone gets their own special glass. They are all different and some of them have pretty wild shapes.
Cherith went relatively safe and got a jacket potato w/ the famous flemish stew they have here. She let me try a nibble and the meat was actually incredibly good. Apparently they take beef and slow cook it in a typical Belgian beer (very dark & very sweet) and it results in some very tasty stew. As for me I went rather adventuresome with my meal. I got mussels! Yup that whole kettle sitting next to my plate is of freshly cooked mussels w/ a few odd vegatables thrown in. They actually are good but quite interesting. I definatley got some odd glares from Cherith as I chowed down on them. :) You see I got this dish because it is apparently the U.S.A. equivalent of steak here in Belgium. If someone wants to go out and have a really good meal, they get mussels not steak. In fact, steak is usually a mid-priced menu item here. We quickly found out why. The steaks here are not good cuts of meat and usually relatively tough. Anyway last but not least you see a batch of belgian fries sitting there. They are the perfect addition to any meal. Nothing like some fried goodness to finish off the palate.
1 comment:
Oh, my...how do you eat mussels? Was there enough iced tea to wash them down :) !?!
Post a Comment