Friday, October 06, 2006

Of Course More Food!!

Ok I admit Cherith has been out blogging me as of late. Time to churn out another one for you guys. Warning though, this blog MIGHT make you hungry.

As you all may have heard there are a lot of pastries and baked goods here in Belgium. They absolutely love their deserts to have that fresh baked pie crust/croissant like texture. Fruits and Chocolate are very Very common in all the sweet goods. They love meringue although it is completely different then the stuff you put on top of Lemon Meringue pie. This stuff is hard and very sugary....it's almost like a dried our marshmallow, almost. Last but not least they absolutely love a custard like filling and they put it in many of their pastries. Cherith says, "They embrace the custard far to much, they should embrace whipped cream instead." Nevertheless, it is all good. So enough chatty here are the photos.
This first photo is of an irresitable raspberry item that Cherith bought a few weeks back. It had a wonderful crust filled with the custard like filling than topped with fresh raspberries and powdered sugar. It was kinda mess to eat but absolutely scrumptious.
This second picture is probably my favorite pastery here. I'm not sure what it is called. It starts with a pastery like cookie. A orange marmalade like substance is placed on top with tons of slivered almonds and it is topped off and held together by tons of wonderful icing. Yum. (Note: I hate orange marmalade, but this thing is wonderful)

Ok I admit I've doctored up this image to make it look like it is heavenly. It is made of that hard marshmallowy type stuff (again they call in meringue) surrounded by really good chocolate. The whole thing is topped off with a whipped cream type substance and a strawberry. However this whip cream wasn't entirely smooth, it is made with granulated sugar I guess to give it a coarse texture.

So that's it for now. Cherith and I are going to Brugge, Belgium tomorrow. We'll be sure to check back in with more stories!! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found an interesting recipe for meringue cookies to make with children for eating Easter morning. As you know, the meringues are hollow, so when the kids break them open on Easter morning, they are empty, like the tomb where Jesus had been buried! Neat idea.