One interesting thing here in Gent is all (ok most) of the roads are made of cobblestone or brick. Yup, that's right concrete and asphault is NOT the medium of choice by the city workers here. Turns out it not only looks cool but serves a purpose. You see by using bricks the city workers can tear up a whole road way or sidewalk without too much trouble. Then when they're done they can just lay the bricks back out. Of course by using this technique it requires road repair crews with skill to keep the roads smooth and uniform. But this way the crews don't have to bring any major equipment or supplies to fix problems on/beneath the roadway and there isn't any construction waste.
I vaguely remember something from my social studies class in grade school about how the Romans built their roads like this. Apparently some of those roads are still around today and serve as the foundation for many of the roads in Italy. So I guess roads made of stone/brick are the way to go.
But for us the really nice thing is we've yet heard the sound of a jack-hammer.
1 comment:
That is very appealing to me (no jackhammers.) Yes, I walked on roads in Rome that had been there since b.c. !! I really enjoy both of your perspectives and comments on life there.
Post a Comment