Saturday, October 28, 2006

Putting the FUN back in Fungi...

As Cherith mentioned fall is in the air here in Belgium. The leaves are turning, acorns are starting to fall, and it's begining to get a bit colder here in the low countries. One day when Cherith and I were in Antwerp a chocolatiers store front bothered me. He had various chocolates in the forms of leaves, chestnuts, and mushrooms!?! I asked myself, 'mushrooms why in the world has he made chocolate mushrooms?'. I was about to find out.
To walk to work I must pass through one of the many campuses that the University of Gent has in the city. This one, Campus de Sterre, is a nice one and has a decent amount more green space then any of the other university areas. Over the last week I've seen at least twenty different types of mushrooms pop up. And not just one or two, mind you, but hundreds of mushrooms. It's been crazy. I imagine this doesn't happen everywhere in Belgium. Nonetheless, it at least lets you know why that shop keeper can put chocolate ones in his fall themed store front.




And as for everyone else who thinks these pics are pretty cool....I'd recommend the portobello grill at Marketplace back home :) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, pooh!! Those p.grilles look SO gross. I had to sit by someone eating one one day. This I know is a very narrow mindset, but I cannot seen to help it :( Your pictures show really cool mushroom there though.

Anonymous said...

I love the red ones with the yellow dots, but I do have to agree that I would rather just look at them and not eat one of them!