Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Wonderfully Cool Evening

The other day when Cherith and I were up at vrijdagmarkt (Friday Market), I noticed something that looked like a giant kaleidoscope. Several children were playing on the object so I didn't pay to much attention. Later that week we returned to the area and I discovered that this beast of a kaleidoscope is really called Dulle Griet (Mad Maggy) and is an eighteen ton canon!! It is from the 15th century and is capable of firing 800 lb canon balls. Apparently, Gent also claims one of the earliest documented appearances of gunpowder in western europe, 1313. Unfortunatley it wouldn't be another one hundred to two hundred years until they became more 'useful' in battle. So just think of this photo as a technological advancement before its time :)


Last night we also went up to the city center to see what things are like in the evening. I'd have to say the rumors were confirmed, the city is just as beautiful at night. Take a look for yourself.




Well that's it for now. We've got to catch a train to the diamond capital of the world, Antwerp. Posted by Picasa

No comments: