There are times in life in which you discover facts about your history and family that you never new existed. Things that catch you blindsided on a Tuesday and you can barely believe there's any truth to it. In fact the only reason why I believe what I am about to tell you is because I heard it come out of my own mother's mouth. Besides the fact she is my mother I know there is no way in the world she could fabricate such a story in her wildest dreams....that and the wikipedia facts agree. :P
When my grandparents were living in Fayetteville they had a house for a short time off of Country Way near Gulley Park. Next to them lived a little boy who loved to come over and visit with my grandparents and uncles. Unfortunately, this little boy didn't have any manners whatsover. He was what even today the most passive parents would call unruley. According to my mom's story, my now late grandmother took it upon herself to clarify the rules of her house to this little boy. My grandmother's weapon of choice...a fly swatter...yeah I know..eeek. And yes all you who don't believe in 'corporal' punishment she was a spanker. The boy responded wonderfully and never really presented any problems from then on out. My grandmother was from a life experience where there was zero tolerance policy for unruliness. Mind you this boy continued to be a terror outside those walls, especially to his own parents, but inside the Crawford residence he was respectful and polite. Now any ideas on who that young little boy grew up to be? Here's a hint his dad worked as a football coach for either Fayetteville High or the University of Arkansas I believe. Come on at least a guess? Ok ok...the answer is:

Lane Kiffin! Wild stuff I know!! To think the same guy that has been terrorizing the football world is the same boy my Grandmother set straight some 30 years ago.
I must say I love you and way to go Grandmother!! You've probably done what no one else has ever done to Lane Kiffin. You took a flyswatter to his butt! Think how this man would have turned out without your love.
I only hope we can all leave a legacy like my grandmother. I for one have a new outlook on the children in my neighborhood. I’ve got three flyswatters in my laundry room and am ready to shape the leaders of tomorrow! J
1 comment:
All I can say is Wow. :) Your story made me smile and hope that I can at least make some difference with my own! You guys are going to be great!
Post a Comment