Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hey Everyone

Cherith and I have officially been here for five days now and the ‘food nerd’ in me is starting to come out. I mean after all I’m getting my degree in food science, right? So for those of you not interested please excuse yourself from the table for the time being. As for everyone else belly up to the blog….go ahead and tie that napkin around your neck and get those utensils in hand cause you’re going to learn about some crazily delicious foods here in Belgium.

Lesson 101 België Cuisine
Well what single food would you like me to start with? The roadside gelato, the baguettes everyone carries around on their bicycles, or how about those ever popular Belegde Broodjes? Ooooh and you can’t start talking about the food without mentioning those incredible fried potatos that the american’s have mistakenly names French fries or that wonderful country icon the Belgian Waffle.
Nope you’re not going to hear about any of those. Not just yet at least. Besides we’ve got to ease you into the food, right? I’ll start with a wonderful southern tradition, Iced Tea. However here they call it ‘Ice Tea’. It is apparently not tea that has been iced, but rather tea that is ice or um yeah something. Those of you who did better in English could help me out with this one. Is the ‘Ice’ acting as an adjective or adverb of tea? Doesn’t matter. Anyway this stuff is heavenly. The Belgium’s make the stuff an event here. Everytime your order the tea, it comes in its own signature goblet that Cherith says resembles a brandy glass. But the real kicker isn’t that it is wonderfully cold or that it is served on a silver platter, but because the stuff is carbonated!! Yup, that’s right the tea is carbonated, bruisend in Vlaams. Now I know what you’re saying. Infact I’ll bet your face has already crumpled up and turned away from the screen in disgust, but I’m telling you one aspiring food nerd to another this stuff is quite a delite to the taste buds. There truly is nothing like sitting in an outdoor café at the center of town with tea bubbling in your fancy glass. Truly a wonderful experience.

However, not as good as tuna and shrimp on your pizza; but I’ll have to let you know about that one another time :O Until then……..guten appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one foodie to the other: keep the descriptions going! You should post pictures of these wonderful delights! And of course yourselves. We love you and are glad to see things starting to look up.

Anonymous said...

carbonated "ice" tea sounds worth a shot to me. is there air conditioning in your apartment?

bks