Gent's club team, KAA Gent, called the Buffalos was a good team last year but that was because of one particular star player. However over the summer Anderlecht, the best team and country champion in Belgium aquired the resources to buy out Gent's best player in the biggest deal in Belgium's Voetbal (soccer) history.
So last night we saw Gent, now a mediocre team at best, hosting the starstudded Anderlecht accompanyied by Gent's best player. It was a recipe for a high scoring game.....for Anderlecht that is. :(
About the 20,000 seat sold out stadium....it was definatley quite an experience. To say that the europeans love their soccer would be an understatement. If fans like this were in the United States I think the military would have to be called in to quel the uprising. I tried to include a video that I took at the game, but Blogspot doesn't seem to like hosting videos. So I guess you guys will have to email me if you want it...
Gent controlled the ball best for the first 15 min of the game. However, a quick score by Anderlecht quickly deflated the home team. Then with a minute left in the half an Anderlecht defender made the mistake of fouling one of our chief strikers in the box, resulting in a penalty kick between only the fouled player and the goalie!! After the ball hit the back of the net....the stadium exploded and we never looked back. The chanting was intense the second half of the game. I've never experienced such crowd support. Think of putting yourself in the middle of a 20,000 person screaming student section and you might begin to understand what we saw. It was awesome and a quite frightening experience all in the same ball of wax. Gent's second and final goal came from the top of the box. It was a beautiful arching kick that the diving goalie just could quite get to. Then with 30min left in the game Gent surved a frightfully aggressive push from Anderlecht. I think there were probably 15 shots on Gent's goal the most nerve racking one being a powerful kick from inside the box that miraculously glanced off both the goalies hands and the cross bar of the goal. Whewwww...that was close...to close.....
After it was all said and done there were 4 yellow cards given out. However if this game was played in the U.S. I'd firmly believe there would have been 3-4x that many. It truly was an scratching and clawing, kickboxing, ugly tackling, full-contact type of game.
Nevertheless Final Score: Anderlect 1 - Gent 2!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment