Friday, November 17, 2006

Mass Migration time again...

It's friday!! Woo hoo....no doubt a holiday no matter what country you're in. However in Gent we experience it a bit differently. Every friday is when Cherith and I get to observe a weekly mass exodus of people.
We at first thought this event happens because people want to visit friends in other towns and go to different places around Europe for the weekend. Although this may be true, I found out that most students have an apartment in the city and then go home for the weekend. With a school of 28,000+ students it doesn't take to many to flood the streets and congest the trainstation.
This is unlike the U.S., where once students go away for school they are gone for good except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the occasional summer....even if they are going to school in their hometown!

Above is Gent Sint-Pieterstation

So with that have a great weekend....Cherith and I will be taking in a big soccer match this weekend. We'll be sure to let you all in on the fun!!!

 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can legitimately say, "I know what you mean!!" Interesting ways in which Europe and the much advanced(?) USA differ in the way they operate/think. Lovely station picture.